Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   What's going on with my cat? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=88406)

Jdeville September 3rd, 2018 10:52 PM

What's going on with my cat?

My cat is 5yr old neutered male. He has PU surgery last year and things have been great since up until about 3 months ago. He seemed to have rolled off the couch and began to frantically try and stand up but his hind legs seemed to just flop. It only lasted about 30 seconds. Maybe a little longer. I grabbed him thinking his hip popped or something so I put pressure on his hips and he got up and walked away.

I didnt think anything of this at the time. Figured it was a fluke and his hip just popped out. But last night it happened again. He was on the arm rest and just kinda fell over into the couch, looked at me funny, then rolled off onto the floor and couldn't get back up. He pull himself up but his back legs didnt seem to support him.

Once again I grabbed him and comforted him till he calmed. Then tried pushing on his hip and once again he got up and walked away.

It's so fast, yet it terrifies him, and me! I'll he making an appointment soon because I now know this could be serious, but does anyone have a clue what could be going on with him???

hazelrunpack September 4th, 2018 09:52 AM

Welcome to the board, Jdeville. So sorry your kitty is having troubles!

The falling over almost sounds neurological--maybe a mild seizure? Then he recovers and regains control of his legs? If you can get a video of him when he's having the trouble, that might give the vet some good information to go on. But I'd definitely get an appointment for him as soon as possible!

Jdeville September 4th, 2018 10:43 PM

I will try to catch it on video but it would be very difficult since it's so random and the only two times it has happened have been 3 months apart.

hazelrunpack September 5th, 2018 10:01 AM

I think I would still talk to your vet. He may have some idea of what's going on.

marko September 5th, 2018 12:36 PM

this might be a reach but is it possible that your dog's legs are pushing on something and they fall asleep..? :shrug:
I agree a video would be great if possible.

growler~GateKeeper September 10th, 2018 12:08 AM

It's possible he's pinched a nerve or maybe his hip is popping out of the socket while he's laying down and that's why he can't stand briefly. I would ask the vet to take pelvic xrays to see if there are bone or soft tissue changes in the hip / leg area.

SuzyP September 10th, 2018 05:28 PM

Could be that your cat is suffering from kidney problems. Does your cat also let his head hang? If the cat has a low level of potassium in its blood they often have trouble just standing up. always affects their back legs. Go to the vet and he/she will do a blood analysis to tell you if your cat has kidney failure. I hope i am wrong! good luck