Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Funny instinctual behaviour - dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64590)

im_nomad August 3rd, 2009 01:28 PM

Funny instinctual behaviour - dogs

Does anyone else's dog do this stuff ? My dog appears to be pretty in tune with her instincts, .

I gave her a new food today and I guess she was full, so she decides to "bury" it for later. She actually makes these movements with her snout as if she is pushing an imaginary pile of dirt up over the food. She does this over and over a few times until she's done. I've seen her do this with treats on her pillow. What a little oddball. :crazy:

She also does the "dig an imaginary hole" before settling down to sleep sometimes. One paw, dig dig, move etc...sometimes she gets carried away and it's digdigdigdigdig with both paws to the point I have to stop her before she pokes a hole in her pillow. This is usually followed by or accompanied by turning in circles before she plops.

That's not as funny, but the imaginary burying is hilarious.

You also don't want to be near her if she's just done a #2 anywhere there's rocks, because the back legs start kicking behind her, i'm assuming to cover it. However, i've also seen her do this once or twice on unkickable surfaces like concrete. Flick flick flick go the legs.

On a somewhat related note-marking. I've been told by others that they've never seen a female dog mark so much. Evidently it doesn't have to be even where other dogs have been, as yesterday I had her at the beach and she marked on seagull droppings as well as where a horse had been walked, in addition to random piles of seaweed. Thankfully she does not do this to people !!

Marty11 August 4th, 2009 07:42 AM

My female Boston marks all the time, I've never seen a female do this. My male Manchester does the feet thing, I was told that he's spreading his scent further to warn other animals. They have glands on their feet with their smell.

edwina August 4th, 2009 06:45 PM

I have never seen a dog try and cover his poo, cats yeah, but not a dog. But i really havent had that many dogs. :)
I am a cat person mostly, but love all animals :)

Bina August 4th, 2009 08:56 PM

I've had a few different dogs do these behaviours at various levels.
My Bouvier would "bury" his gooey slobbery bones under my bed pillows.
But the best thing I've seen was when my old Labrador would go pee in the snow, and my cat would immediately run over and cover it up with snow.
Now THAT"S funny. :) Silly critters.

Dog Dancer August 5th, 2009 01:33 PM

My girl does all of those. Couldn't figure out why she had a sore on her nose until I saw her burying her bone in our other dogs pillow... She also marks like crazy, in fact she pee's like a boy so she can get it up on the shrubs and stuff and then kicks like a wild beast to spread her scent.

im_nomad August 16th, 2009 05:39 PM

lol @ pees like a boy. Molly semi-lifts her leg too. And coincidentally, also has had sores on her nose for no good reason, that could explain it.