Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Oliver has loose poops (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=80380)

TheCritterMom March 2nd, 2012 02:27 PM

Oliver has loose poops

Hello, my dog Oliver is a rescue and about 11 months old. He was a shelter dog when we adopted him at around 9 months old, and was a stray before that. He is a shepherd/collie mix I think. At the shelter he was fed a mixture of any food they were donated. Upon getting him, we gave him Eukanuba large breed puppy formula (although I don't think he is quite large enough to be a large breed), and then he was switched to Nutreco Lifetime Chicken and Oatmeal formula. Once switched to adult foods he started to get loose stools. When we bring him to the dog park he will poop multiple times, all are loose, and he will go until there is absolutely the tiniest poop left. He totally empties his bowels when he plays. Since, we have put him on Halo, Purely for Pets Salmon formula because the ingredients looked good. What can we do to help him with his problem? Is this a food problem? Or could it be something else?

Ingredients for Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Formula: (Chicken, Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal (Natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Brewers Rice, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Brewers Dried Yeast, Fish Meal, Potassium Chloride, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Fructooligosaccharides, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), DL-Methionine, Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Inositol, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Vitamin E Supplement, Marigold, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.)

Ingredients for Nutreco Lifetime Chicken and Oatmeal: (Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Whole Barley, Chicken & Turkey Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Canola Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Flaxseed, Natural Flavours, Herring Oil (source of DHA/EPA), Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Mannanoligosaccharides (MOS), Chicory Inulin (FOS), Yucca Schidigera Extract VITAMINS Vitamin supplements (A,D,E), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12, Folic AcidMINERALS Zinc Sulphate, Ferrous Sulphate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Chelated Minerals (Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Iron), Manganese Sulphate, Copper Sulphate)

Ingredients for Halo, Purely for Pets Wild Salmon Spot's Stew: (Salmon, Eggs, Pea Protein, Oats, Vegetable Broth, Pearled Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Whole Peas, Chicken Liver, Chicken, Flax Seed, Salmon Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Green Beans, Carrots, Cranberries, Zucchini, Alfalfa, Inulin, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Salt, Vitamins (Folic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium longum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product.)

Loki Love March 2nd, 2012 02:36 PM

Could it be that you're over feeding him? That's one culprit for loose stools. Has he been checked for worms recently too?

TheCritterMom March 2nd, 2012 02:46 PM

I thought maybe this could be a sensitivity to chicken, as I see chicken is common among all of the foods.

TheCritterMom March 2nd, 2012 02:48 PM

Hmm, He gets two bowls of food a day, they are pretty small bowls I think. I'll try to see what the feeding guidelines are for his weight. He has all his shots from the humane society but has not had his first vet check up yet. We are going in April for his first visit and I will ask the vet about the possibility of worms. He isn't super thin, I thought worms kept you thin.

DarKevs March 3rd, 2012 09:46 PM

First off.........Bless you for choosing to Adopt and not Shop!

when asked how much you feed.............how much is two bowls a day? 2 cups twice a day................or what. :)

have your Vet check a stool sample?

if all is good..........try adding more fiber to his diet.....pumpkin seems to work well with dogs.

google and research Slippery Elm Bark Powder. an awesome herb for any digestive disorders.

Hope things improve for your boy.

MaxaLisa March 3rd, 2012 10:04 PM

[QUOTE=TheCritterMom;1035675]I thought maybe this could be a sensitivity to chicken, as I see chicken is common among all of the foods.[/QUOTE]

I always suspect a chicken issue since it seems to have become fairly common.

Floppy Dog March 14th, 2012 06:18 PM

Does Oliver scootch his bum across the carpet, as if it was itchy? That's ususally a good indication that he doesn't have enough fibre since it likely means that the anal glands aren't being evacuated when he has a BM. When the glands are full, they're uncomfortable for the dog.

I agree with DarKevs, pumpkin is great and dogs seem to like it. Just make sure you get pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling (that's got sugar and other suff you don't want to be giving to your dog). Other forms of fibre are apples and carrots.

Have you also considered whether Oliver has enough beneficial bacteria in his GI tract to adequately digest and absorb his food? If he was a stray before he got rescued, there's no telling what's in his GI tract. Go with plain, Balkan or Greek style yogurt, no flavours, no sugars, sweeteners or colours.

I give my 23 lbs Cocker Spaniel 1 heaping tablespoon of yogurt in the morning and 1 heaping tablespoon of pumpkin in the evening with her food. I reduce the amount of kibble she gets to the low side of the daily amount for her weight to compensate.

TheCritterMom March 15th, 2012 08:04 AM

I have only seen Oliver scootch once, when we brought him to a new house - I think he was just leaving us his lovely scent. He has relatively firm poops normally, but when we play, or go to the dog park it is yellowish-green and runny and he will poop about 5 times! Everytime he does it is less, but more runny. It gets to the point where it is so small and liquid that I can't even pick it up! Is this just excitement? I'm hoping that his excitement to play is why he does this and not an underlying issue. I will try the pumpkin and the yogurt. I follow his feeding guidelines by weight on his food bag. It usually says 2-21/2 cups for a doggy his weight.

Loki Love March 15th, 2012 08:27 AM

[QUOTE=TheCritterMom;1036409] I follow his feeding guidelines by weight on his food bag. It usually says 2-21/2 cups for a doggy his weight.[/QUOTE]

Just remember that the feeding guidelines are just that... a guideline. Some dogs require less, others more. Maybe your puppers doesn't need as much as is being suggested?