Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Maks has some growth on his lip help! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=56274)

ancientgirl September 7th, 2008 08:45 AM

Maks has some growth on his lip help!

I noticed this last night. I thought he had his little tongue sticking out but then when I investigated further I saw this.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Maks/003.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Maks/004.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Maks/005-1.jpg[/IMG]

I don't know what that can be. My only guess is maybe he was playing and hit his lip. I just don't know. He ate with no problem yesterday, but this morning sort of turned up his nose to breakfast. He had a little bit of Kiska's food but that's it.

What makes me really angry is I had $100 yesterday, but with preparing with this stupid Hurricane that as of right now looks like it's not even coming our way, I spent the money on getting extra food and water for us.

I'm going to watch him today, but if he still has it tomorrow or if it hasn't gone down in size, I'm going to have to borrow the money from somewhere to take him in.:sad: I'm so scared.

Dracko September 7th, 2008 01:50 PM

Looks just like what Gingko gest. I posted about it here:

[url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42431[/url]

ancientgirl September 7th, 2008 02:03 PM

This morning I briefly thought about some sort of food allergy.

I feed them Wellness grain free, but most of their diet consists of either Chicken or chicken with either herring or beef. So chicken is included in almost every meal.

I'd been feeding Maks raw for a few weeks, but he stopped eating it. I do still have a full package of beef and half a package of lamb. I'm thawing out some beef now and will give him some for dinner and tomorrow for breakfast.

He's acting normal on all other counts. It looks like he's got a fat lip. :sad:

kathryn September 7th, 2008 02:15 PM

That 100% looks like a fat lip from probably accidentally biting his lip or something. I guess it could be an allergy as well. I'd put my money on he ran into something, one of the other cats bit him or smacked him or he bit himself.

Is it squishy? Poke it and see if it feels like swelling or if it's a hard growth.

ancientgirl September 7th, 2008 02:22 PM

It's not super squishy, but doesn't feel hard either. He could very well have been hit playing. I think he fell off a small counter on the other side of the kitchen the other day, so he may have hit himself then. He and Vlad play hard. I actually noticed a scab on Vlad's ear, which looked like a scratch healing.

Maks likes to jump from the stairs to the sofa, from the dresser to the bed and just runs around like crazy. So I am keeping that in mind.

I'm going to see if he will eat the raw I'm going to put out for him. He's eaten it before so maybe he'll go for it. I'll also try to keep him away from the Chicken and feed him maybe some turkey, and see if I can feed him away from the others.

I'll keep watching him for the next day or so and see if it goes down. If it hasn't gone down by Wednesday I'm going to have to take him in to see the vet.

Winston September 7th, 2008 02:27 PM

AG do you have any plants in the house? just wondering if he had a nibble on something like that or even on a electrical cord? doesnt look to bad...I would see how it goes for the next few days...

Poor Maks!

14+kitties September 7th, 2008 02:30 PM

Can you email one or two of those pictures into your vet? Maybe she will look at them and let you know if you should bring him in or not? Might save you a trip and some money!

To me it looks like the blisters my kids used to get when they sucked on their pacifiers too much.

ancientgirl September 7th, 2008 02:34 PM

No plants in the place for the very reason I'd be afraid they'd eat something bad. Electrical cord is possible, but I have tried to teach them all since kittens to stay away, so I don't think that could be it.

I was playing with him and a new teaser toy yesterday. I'm trying to remember if I may have accidentally hit him with it while waving it around.

I feel so horrible for him. I know at least from my own experience how uncomfortable it is to have something irritating your lip like that. I don't want to give him any kind of medication on my own, since I'm afraid whatever I gave him would do more harm.

The only thing that's keeping me from going totally nuts is that he's acting perfectly normal.

ancientgirl September 7th, 2008 02:39 PM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;653474]Can you email one or two of those pictures into your vet? Maybe she will look at them and let you know if you should bring him in or not? Might save you a trip and some money!

To me it looks like the blisters my kids used to get when they sucked on their pacifiers too much.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it looks totally like a blister. Like those blisters you pop and water or something comes out.

I'm going to wait to see what it looks like tomorrow. If it hasn't gone down, I'm calling the vets office to see if I can email the picture to them. Their usual vet has changed her hours so she works nights, and every other week. Hopefully she works tomorrow. That sucks because it means for an emergency, I'd have to have them seen by one of the other vets.

onster September 7th, 2008 02:53 PM

awww AG im sorry u have to go through this worry.

BUT to be perfectly honest, it seems like those little blisters that we get in our mouths, just on a bigger scale. Probably because he rammed into something harder :crazy: ....really Im not worried.

Or maybe its a mouth ulcer?

I know for humans for home remedy at least in my house we put a small dap of bicarbonate soda on it. I dont know if you want to try that or if its harmful for cats :shrug: but what Im trying to say is I really dont think u need to worry so much about it.

I hope it clears up very soon and u dont need to see a vet :fingerscr

ancientgirl September 7th, 2008 02:59 PM

Thanks Onster. The more I look at it the more it does look like one of those mouth ulcers. I don't really have anything natural to put on him. Heck, I wouldn't even have anything to put on myself.

I just hate seeing him with that. I hope you're right and it's nothing.:pray:

chico2 September 7th, 2008 04:04 PM

To me it looks like his lip is just swollen,one of my cats once had a swollen lip,but it was from plastic-dishes I used at the time,I did not know in those days,they were not a good thing to use.
My cats now all have the metal ones.

krdahmer September 7th, 2008 04:20 PM

Aw... poor guy, maybe Kiska sucker punched him for eating her food all the time while you weren't lookin...:laughing:

It does look like just a fat lip, hopefully the swelling will go down quickly! :goodvibes:

ancientgirl September 7th, 2008 05:32 PM

Chico, they all use those little ceramic places. He hasn't been chewing on anything plastic, that I've seen.

I looked at it again, I don't know if it's just me hoping or of it has gone down a little in swelling.

I hope it's less swollen tomorrow, if that's the case them he may have just hit himself on something, or someone else hit him.

Oy, I hate these little things. I've been looking at his lip all day, and the poor little guy has been trying to run from me LOL.

14+kitties September 7th, 2008 05:43 PM

ancient - step away from the lip........... NOW! :D

ancientgirl September 7th, 2008 05:45 PM

I know, I have to stop looking at it until tomorrow.

LOL, I don't even look at my own lip issues this much.:laughing:

Dracko September 7th, 2008 08:27 PM

AG, it looks exactly like Ginkgo's lip when she was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. I thought, wth, her lip is all swollen?!??! After a few days it went down. Then a while later returned. Next thing I knew she had some raised skin on her neck that was like a scar (you can read more in the link in my first post here).

Check his body for any other raised areas of skin and over the next while frequently do so. I was mostly on Ginkgo's neck and hamstring area.

ancientgirl September 7th, 2008 08:38 PM

Dracko, I'm watching him for the next few days. I decided that even if it goes down, I'm going to take him in and have him looked at. I'll write down what you posted and talk to my vet about it.

If I could take him tomorrow to the vet I would, but I don't get paid until the 15th of this month. I'll be checking the rest of him as well. I have to take him in to get his junior wellness exam anyway, so I can schedule that at the same time.

ancientgirl September 8th, 2008 06:05 AM

Hey guys. I looked at Maks' lip this morning. It's still slightly swollen but not as bad as yesterday. Hopefully it will be all back to normal when I get home. :fingerscr

Love4himies September 8th, 2008 06:16 AM

Sending some :goodvibes: for Maks. :fingerscr

ancientgirl September 8th, 2008 09:43 AM

Thanks L4H. I can't wait to get home to see if it's gone down.

krdahmer September 8th, 2008 11:32 AM

Thats great, maybe it'll be gone when you get home!

ancientgirl September 8th, 2008 11:37 AM

I really hope so, because I can't stop thinking about it.

dogcatharmony September 8th, 2008 02:13 PM

That looks just like what my Phoebe gets on her lip. Her's gets so big it covers her front teeth. My vet noticed that she was getting them in the spring and the fall by going over her records. He told me in my case it possible could be hormonal (yes, phoebe is spayed) and not worry unless it burst.

ancientgirl September 8th, 2008 02:21 PM

Hormonal? Hmm...I'll have to write that down too so I can ask my vet if she think his might be the same.

dogcatharmony September 8th, 2008 02:29 PM

I know her worst one lasted for almost two weeks....it was huge. Looked like a thumb was sticking out of her mouth, and it went over and behind her front teeth.. She still ate and went about normal business.....I have no idea how she still managed to eat with that in her mouth. That one actually knocked a tooth out.

Have you had anything different going on?? Any kitty stress???

Sending Maks some hugs, poor baby.

ancientgirl September 8th, 2008 02:39 PM

OMGosh! that big? Poor Phoebe!

His was pretty big yesterday. It was white because the skin was so stretched. But luckily this morning he did look slightly smaller and more pink.

There really hasn't been anything different other than Czarina has been out of the kitchen more. As a matter of fact, I did catch her chasing him over the weekend. So much so, she chased him under a dresser. I had to give her a little tap on the but and say NO, so she'd leave him alone. Poor little guy. He doesn't bother anyone, and he's actually the only one who I've never heard so much as a hiss or a growl towards any other cat or person.

Now I'm wondering if she might be chasing him while I'm not home and messing with him. If someone is messing with him in a mean way, he won't fight back, Kiska will.

My poor little guy.

dogcatharmony September 8th, 2008 03:01 PM

Could very well be stress then. I know with mine, the vet said what could be causing it was the stress/hormonal of suppost to be being in heat at that time of year.Some cats are sensitive. But I do know she got her first one just days after I adopted her (but it was late spring then).

It's scary to think that the skin could strech that far and not burst. And it never felt super squishy or hard either. Felt just like when you get a new blister from wearing a new pair of shoes, not hard not soft....just there. Does that make sense??? And it always stayed white on top and pink underneath no matter how large it got.:shrug:

ancientgirl September 8th, 2008 05:15 PM

Yeah, that's exactly how it is. I had hoped it would be a little smaller when i got home, but it hasn't gotten smaller.

since you said it might be stress, I think i'll try to give him some rescue remedy in a few days. I don't want to give him any now, in case it irritates that blister thing.

I'm going to see if I can get him and Czarina some of the Bach remedies. There are some for specific emotions. She's still a bit aggressive, which I would have thought would have subsided slightly by now, especially since she's taking Prozac. And Maks is a nervous little guy anyway, so maybe some of those flower essences will help him too.

krdahmer September 8th, 2008 05:34 PM

Ok this is neither here nor there....:offtopic:... but have you started them on the coconut oil yet? Fagan who is also a nervous nelly has made almost a complete 180 from when I had him on rescue remedy etc and since his last shot. I stopped giving him the rescue remedy and the hypericum and instead giving him the coconut, and not only is he not chewing (knock on wood), but I've seen such an improvement in his mood! He is bright, more alert, more interactive and he gets the zoomies again (and NOT because his skin is crawling). Oh and you could probably put the coconut right on his lip too (not sure it would do anything but what the heck right?).

Anyhow, more :goodvibes: for little Maks!