Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat behavior forum - cat training (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Tips for getting cats indoors (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=87646)

marko May 25th, 2017 08:37 AM

Tips for getting cats indoors

Even a video on walking with your cat.
[url]http://www.birdlife.org/americas/news/five-neat-tricks-keep-your-cat-attacking-birds[/url]

hazelrunpack May 25th, 2017 11:55 AM

Very cool! We had JD up to about 20 minutes outside on leash and harness last year. It's been so wet and cold this spring, though, that we haven't yet ventured forth. Plus I'm still a little freaked by that day he was in the Dreaded Elizabethan Collar after surgery when he bolted out the door, panicked when he hit the cold, wet snow, and darted up the tree! :eek: Oy! Luckily, he wasn't too keen on staying up there! :laughing: But be still my pounding heart! Oy! :eek:

But we'll likely be breaking out the harness for walkies again soon...

Would love to have a catio, but right now, we're just making do with the screened in porch on the shed. Some day it would be nice to have a safe area just outside the place we hang our feeders, so JD can get up close without getting too personal with his birds.... :D

Barkingdog May 25th, 2017 02:36 PM

Cat owners need to made sure they put a breakaway collar on their cats if they're going allow them to go outside alone .

I am concerned a bell on a cat will attract predators to the cat.

Winston May 25th, 2017 03:35 PM

Hazel make sure you double the collar for JD....cats are awesome at backing out of collars and making a run for it.
If you use a harness then use a clip and attached to collar around neck sort of thing...if he gets out of 1 he cant get out of the other .

I bet JD would love a screened in area to look at birds..
Hazel Tabby and Bomber :rip::cat: use to sit in the window looking out the front at the 2 trees on my front lawn and they would get so excited they would chatter :laughing: When I first heard them doing it, they really freaked me out i thought something was physically wrong with them....but it was them chattering at birds :laughing: my vet laughed hysterically at me...
Cindy

Winston May 25th, 2017 03:35 PM

Hazel make sure you double the collar for JD....cats are awesome at backing out of collars and making a run for it.
If you use a harness then use a clip and attached to collar around neck sort of thing...if he gets out of 1 he cant get out of the other .

I bet JD would love a screened in area to look at birds..
Hazel Tabby and Bomber :rip::cat: use to sit in the window looking out the front at the 2 trees on my front lawn and they would get so excited they would chatter :laughing: When I first heard them doing it, they really freaked me out i thought something was physically wrong with them....but it was them chattering at birds :laughing: my vet laughed hysterically at me...
Cindy

P.S Marko sorry I am off topic :wall:

hazelrunpack May 25th, 2017 11:05 PM

[QUOTE=Winston;1076713]Hazel make sure you double the collar for JD....cats are awesome at backing out of collars and making a run for it.
If you use a harness then use a clip and attached to collar around neck sort of thing...if he gets out of 1 he cant get out of the other .[/QUOTE]

I think I saw a leash with a double hook on it at the pet supply place--I remember wondering what it the extra hook was for, since I couldn't picture anyone trying to walk two cats on one leash... I wonder if it was one hook for the harness and the other for the collar? I'll have to look into that. Right now I hook him up to his harness, with nothing attached to his collar. He hasn't tried to back out of the harness, yet, but the possibility is always in the back of my mind. :eek:

[QUOTE=Winston;1076713]Tabby and Bomber :rip::cat: use to sit in the window looking out the front at the 2 trees on my front lawn and they would get so excited they would chatter :laughing: When I first heard them doing it, they really freaked me out i thought something was physically wrong with them....but it was them chattering at birds :laughing: my vet laughed hysterically at me...
Cindy
[/QUOTE]

:laughing: Thanks for the warning! So far, he sings for his supper, loudly announces when he uses the litter boxes, and holds conversations with his humans and his dogs, but he hasn't made any sound at all when watching his birds! I suppose it's only a matter of time! :D