Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How do I stop my dog from being so badly behaved?! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=86166)

Ebonyperry96 December 21st, 2014 08:42 AM

How do I stop my dog from being so badly behaved?!

Hi, my dog hubert means the world to me! But he is causing so much hassle! He causes arguments between my partner and I and my dad and I. He can get very aggressive for no reason, if someone walks past the sofa he will growl and show his teeth and jump up. When people come in the house he jumps up continuously and won't leave people alone. He pees all over the house whenever I am not with him. If I pick him up he growls at me and shows his teeth. He can be so gentle and loving, it's like he has doggy bipolar haha! He is a pug zhu cross breed between a pug and a shi zhu, he is 2 years old, he doesn't leave my side either. When I'm in bed, he's next to me, when I'm in the bath he sits in the bathroom and if I shut him out he scratches at the door and cries. I just don't know how to train him!!! My boyfriend absolutely hates him. He won't go near him. But I don't like shutting him away all the time. If someone could help with some advice on training him and getting him out of these habits I would be so grateful! I can't afford a trainer really. I just need to get him out of these habits!

marko December 21st, 2014 10:15 AM

First off welcome to the forum!

But straight up...I hate to say this but you need a trainer. Dogs don't get aggressive for no reason. Dogs don't become 'bad' on their own... they need humans to manipulate to encourage their bad behaviour.

Your dog has multiple issues that you don't know how to deal with and have no experience with. Sounds like these multiple behaviours have gotten worse over time. You and your dog need a course by a pro.

Group obedience training is not free but it's not a fortune either. Make sure you do not pick a trainer based on price/location. [B]That the trainer is recommended by someone you trust like a vet is WAY more important[/B]....plus trainers need no credentials so plenty of them are crap.

My golden advice is to spend the 150-300 bucks now on a referred trainer so that your next 10 years or more will be pleasant. Good luck! :goodvibes:

Longblades December 22nd, 2014 08:37 AM

I'm sorry but I agree with Marko, you NEED a trainer. Did you ever go to training classes when he was a pup? Puppy classes usually are not enough. You said it yourself, you don't know how to train him, go to someone who does.

The only things I can see from your post is the growling when someone walks by the sofa. Is Hubert up on the sofa? I would not allow a dog with such behaviour on it, or the bed, or any chair.

And the growling when you pick him up. Many, if not most, dogs do not enjoy being picked up. Don't pick him up. Another side of him growling when you pick him up is it might cause him pain somewhere. When was he last Vetted and did you mention any of these things to your Vet?

Good luck.

Barkingdog December 22nd, 2014 11:50 AM

[url]http://moderndogmagazine.com/articles/ask-expert-small-dog-syndrome/26546[/url]

You dog could have' small dog syndrome' and that happen when the owner treat the dog more like a baby than a 'dog' and let it get away with anything. If is more of a ' bad' dog owner than anything else.

2dogs&acat January 2nd, 2015 08:27 AM

I agree with everything above. The dog needs to be trained and corrected each time for the unacceptable behavior. Save up for classes and in them meantime go to youtube and watch and practice some training videos. Correct your instantly for growling and reward right away when he stops. But do it with love, not sternly.

jfn January 3rd, 2015 08:54 AM

If you really can't afford a trainer, a cheaper alternative would be to study about dog behavior on your own by reading articles on the web and getting some books. For instance, Ian Dunbar and Cesar Millan have books on the topic that could help you.