Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We need to get on the media's case ...

Faceless
November 22nd, 2004, 10:59 PM
The media here in Ontario is being very irresponsible. How so? By sensationalizing every pit bull attack, and neglecting to report all the other dog biting incidents that go on in this province, probably every day, by other breeds.

We need to start calling them out; If dog bites are news, let's start hearing about the Labrador Retrievers that attack other dogs, or bite the hand that feeds them. I'm sure that if you talk to the Ministry of Health, dog attacks are not limited to pit bulls.

pitbulliest
November 22nd, 2004, 11:47 PM
very true..although alex pierson has done a good job at bringing them up during Michael Bryant's many interviews...and he didn't even know what to say about them...more newspapers and tv channels should follow her example and take it up a notch.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
November 22nd, 2004, 11:52 PM
I definately agree; as we speak, I am writing to my local news channel.

I have been *very* impressed by Alex Pierson's reporting! Now, if all the news reporters were like that . . .

Loki
November 23rd, 2004, 08:01 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just want to express my disgust with the irresponsible manner in which Global television has reported "pit bull" incidents in the past months.
I have watched for months now, as Global tv has allowed Michael Bryant to manipulate Ontarians unchallenged. My family now refers to Global news as "The Michael Bryant Show."

The poor child in Hamilton being bitten by his dog is very tragic. The only problem is, Michael Bryant's law would not have protected him. His dog would have been grandfathered, and unmuzzled in his home. Instead of showing more of the Attorney General's propaganda, you should have taken this opportunity to speak with experts about dog-bite prevention.

Bryant is only concerned with protecting children that are bitten by breeds that help his agenda( much like Global's recent reporting style). Why not offer tips to parents, about kids and dogs? All breeds can bite, and children are usually the victims. Bryant is only interested in protecting kids from one breed. What about Global?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is their email address, if anybody is interested:
globalnews.tor@globaltv.com

Sheriffmom
November 23rd, 2004, 08:37 PM
EXCELLENT letter!!! I'm going to write them as well.... hope my point comes across as well as yours did!! Again, great letter :thumbs up

lil_kirk
November 23rd, 2004, 08:41 PM
This is not new. The media always sensationalize things when related to politics. Everything "Liberal" will be given a positive spin to help it along...the PC are against therefore the media will push FOR the ban--and by advertising every PBT attack without reference to the other attacks they are assisting the Liberals. That's just the way the media works....they're all in cahooots.

Schwinn
November 23rd, 2004, 10:30 PM
That is a good letter! One thing that I'm going to add for any letter I write is a couple of the dog attacks we know about that weren't reported, and ask them why they didn't report those ones? (I know the answer, but I want to bring up that point)

Luvmypit
November 24th, 2004, 10:06 AM
I wrote them too. Oh we are just a bunch of little devils :evil:. They must wonder why there an influx ever so often in there mail boxes.

Loki
November 24th, 2004, 06:43 PM
They mostly talked about dog-owners being assaulted.
They interviewed the person that organized the TO protest (Ryan, I believe).
They showed a montage of Bryant's quotes( kinda funny) cut together, and said that pitbull owner's feel that Bryant is responsible for the harassment.
They then showed a small clip of some tool, that says he tries to pick fist-fights with pit owners.
They mentioned the protest on Sunday.

This could all be a coincidence, but faceless might be on to something here....
Maybe we should pick a station every so often, and group mail them.

Schwinn
November 24th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Absolutely Faceless is on to something. The only way we are going to get the media to stop sensationalizing everything is by calling them on it. Right now, they think that most people are on side with them, so that's what they show. But if enough people complain to them, it may sway them. Unfortunatly, one thing that may be against us is a lot of networks tend to have party alliances. This can be seen in the newspapers. But at the end of the day, it's dollars that matter. At the very least, I know I find it rather cathartic to send the e-mails telling them they are putz's! (Diplomatically, of course!)

bluntman
November 25th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Two months ago there was another dog attack in my city, the dog got the 9 year old girl in the face and she may need plastic surgery. To make matters worse this was the second time this dog had bite a child in the face, It was NOT a pit type dog, It did NOT make the papers, the way I found out about the incident was the father wrote an editorial to the local paper supporting the pit ban. This is another example of how newsmedia fails to inform the public that ALL types of dogs can and do attack, They have lulled the public and the politicians into thinking ONLY pit dogs attack people and other dogs, and that they are safe as long as there are no pit bulls. The public will never be safe from dog attacks untill the media starts telling the hole truth, and ALL dog owners, like the one's here on this site, become responsible dog owners.

Luvmypit
November 25th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Hey Bluntman when every you find stories like that show em to us and we can all write the media and ask why they didn't include this one. Its important we keep the heat on them or else they won't really care.

Schwinn
November 25th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Two months ago there was another dog attack in my city, the dog got the 9 year old girl in the face and she may need plastic surgery. To make matters worse this was the second time this dog had bite a child in the face, It was NOT a pit type dog, It did NOT make the papers, the way I found out about the incident was the father wrote an editorial to the local paper supporting the pit ban. This is another example of how newsmedia fails to inform the public that ALL types of dogs can and do attack, They have lulled the public and the politicians into thinking ONLY pit dogs attack people and other dogs, and that they are safe as long as there are no pit bulls. The public will never be safe from dog attacks untill the media starts telling the hole truth, and ALL dog owners, like the one's here on this site, become responsible dog owners.

What kind of dog was it? My question is, if the dog wasn't a pit, what was his basis for supporting the ban? While I understand a parent's concern and rage (as I've said before, my sister required plastic surgery to repair damage from a dog attack), it seems a little lacking in intelligence to not see that banning pits is not the solution if it wasn't a pit that attacked your child.

bluntman
November 26th, 2004, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure what type of dog it was schwinn, he did not say, The reason he supports the ban is, he thinks All vicious dogs should be banned. I understand is anger, But what does he think is a vicious dog? A pit? a rotti? I have both and have had many door to door canvasers say my dogs are the freindlyist dogs they have ever met, People pick up a paper read about a dog attack and blame the whole breed, not the owner, untill the media starts realizeing that owners are responsible for there dogs actions, there will be many more banned breeds in the years to come.
I for one will not be muzzeling my dog if the new bill passes, I've tried it and it was to uppsetting for her, I have allways had control of my dogs in public and will continue to due so, but the muzzel is out. Besides my cat allways goes for a walk with me and my pit, since the public is convinced all pits are killers, there's no way a cat would walk with one, so I will just say she is a mutt.