Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can animals sense pregnancy in their owners - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

angelcw81
September 26th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Hi, this seems a bit foolish but do pets know if you are pregnant? I'm 3.5 months pregnant and both of my cats have suddenly taken to headbutting and nipping at my stomach. Should I be concerned? :confused:

weimaraner
September 27th, 2004, 12:45 AM
I asked this question earlier in the year, it's a thread called 'Can dogs sense things', I got some excellent replies. It was also about pregnancy as I was only 5 weeks at the time my dog started behaving strange, he still won't leave me alone and has to watch every move I make, he even cries when I go out.
Try and find the thread, if you have problems let us know!

lilith_rizel
September 27th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Come to think of it, our dog whines too when my wife leaves the house. We got him after she got pregnant though so we didn't think anything of it.

petdr
October 6th, 2004, 09:46 AM
No reason to be concerned. Animals are very sentient,and may be affected by pheromones and other scents that are unique to pregnancy. Just because we don't consciously react to these, it is not unusual for animals to react.

Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490

montys_pet
October 7th, 2004, 10:36 PM
I had a cat 7 yrs ago that totally attacked my belly while i was pregnant. Once the baby was born she always tried to sleep on his head. I had then given her to an older couple.

cridie20
February 6th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Why did u get rid of the cat? Apparently a child who is exposed to the hair on a cat as a newborn is less likely to develop asthma. Also, there are other ways of keeping your cat away from your child's sleeping area.

I am sorry but i just don't understand why after so many years of loving and caring for an animal, people can just give them up because it suddenly does not suit your lifestyle.

Very sad...

Karin
February 6th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Why did u get rid of the cat? Apparently a child who is exposed to the hair on a cat as a newborn is less likely to develop asthma. Also, there are other ways of keeping your cat away from your child's sleeping area.

I am sorry but i just don't understand why after so many years of loving and caring for an animal, people can just give them up because it suddenly does not suit your lifestyle.

Very sad...

Is this not negative? Please Cridie20, reread your post(s) in the "Cat can't walk" thread. Circumstances aside from this thread here...you are contradicting yourself on the subject of negativity.
Stick around, read, join in...I promise you, you will understand more about what makes this board tick...shooting from the hip will only result in you being shot back at.

Don't forget to duck.....

I learned....

*maybe..snicker*