Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- Dog Breed Group
- Terrier Dogs
- Origin of Breed
- England, bull-baiting and dog fighting.
- Life Expectancy
- 12 - 14 Years
- Red, fawn, white, black or blue, or any one of these colors with white; any shade of brindle, or any shade of brindle with white
- Smooth, short and dense.
- Exercise Needs
- Needs plenty of regular exercise which should consist of play time and daily walks on a leash. He should be kept on a leash in p
- The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is plucky and strong-willed. He is very stubborn, but makes an excellent family pet. He is a quic
- Good with Children
- May jump on smaller children. Supervision is suggested with other pets, may be dog-aggressive.
- Grooming Needs
- Minimal grooming is necessary to keep his coat in top condition. Brush occasionally with a firm bristle brush. Rub down with a t
- Average Size - Male (in)
- 14 - 16
- Average Size - Female (in)
- 14 - 16
- Average Weight - Male (lbs)
- 28 - 38
- Average Weight - Female (lbs)
- 24 - 34
- Health Issues
- Cataracts, over heating and breathing problems.v
- Living Conditions
- Adapts well to urban living, but needs plenty of exercise.
The Staffordshire Bull Terrier or Staffy is a smooth-coated dog who has great strength for his size. He is muscular, but should also be active and agile. He is usually adoring within his family circle, but needs firm handling and constant training as he has a strong instinct to fight with other dogs. Evolved from the British Isles as a direct result of a cross between a Old English Bulldog and a smooth-coated terrier, possible the Black and Tan Terrier. Originally used for bull-baiting and dog fighting.
When bull-baiting and dog fighting were outlawed in Britain, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier was developed along gentler lines as a companion dog.
Disclaimer: Pets.ca cannot be responsible for the accuracy of the above presented information. Please double check all information prior to making any decisions about purchasing this or any breed. If you think we have made an error with some of the information presented here, please e-mail us at email@example.com.