- Dog Breed Group
- Terrier Dogs
- Origin of Breed
- Wales, hunting dog.
- Life Expectancy
- 12 - 14 Years
- All white, or white with lemon, brown, blue or badger pied markings on head and ears.
- Long, hard and wiry, with a weather-resistant undercoat.
- Exercise Needs
- Exercise daily on a leash as he enjoys a good long walk.
- He is playful, with an eager to please, outgoing, friendly attitude. If he is spoiled, he will become a bossy, nippy dog.
- Good with Children
- Good with children, if positive contact is provided with them when he is young. May have scrapes with his fellow dog and he need
- Grooming Needs
- Groom twice a week to prevent matting. Stripping is required for showing.
- Average Size - Male (in)
- Average Size - Female (in)
- Average Weight - Male (lbs)
- Average Weight - Female (lbs)
- Health Issues
- Eye problems, skin allergies, and deafness.v
- Living Conditions
- Does well in an apartment, in the country or a home with a backyard as long as exercise is provided daily.
The Sealyham Terrier is the embodiment of power and determination, ever keen and alert, yet free from clumsiness. He also has his own sense of humor and like many terriers makes a delightful companion. Making a tireless companion he is sometimes known as the couch potato as he requires less exercise than most terriers. Developed in the late nineteenth century by Captain Edwardes who lived at his estate of Sealyham in Pembrokeshire. He wanted a plucky, tenacious dog who would hunt badgers by sight and scent. It is said he crossed the Welsh Corgi, the Cheshire Terrier, the Dandie Dinmont Terrier, the Fox Terrier and The West Highland White Terrier.
The Sealyham Terrier is a very large dog in a small dog's body as it has lots of character.
Disclaimer: Pets.ca cannot be responsible for the accuracy of the above presented information. Please double check all information prior to making any decisions about purchasing this or any breed. If you think we have made an error with some of the information presented here, please e-mail us at email@example.com.