Welsh Springer Spaniel
- Dog Breed Group
- Sporting Dogs
- Origin of Breed
- Wales, gun dog.
- Life Expectancy
- 12 - 14 Years
- Rich red and white only.
- Straight and flat, silky in texture; some feathering on chest, underside of body and legs.
- Exercise Needs
- Needs regular exercise on and off leash. Without enough exercise he has a tendency to become fat and lazy. Enjoys swimming.
- The Welsh Springer Spaniel is attentive, friendly, cheerful, sensitive and independent.
- Good with Children
- Gentle with children. Will tolerate other pets.
- Grooming Needs
- Regular brushing with a stiff bristle brush twice a week. Shedding is twice a year and needs extra attention. Bathe or dry shamp
- Average Size - Male (in)
- 18 - 19
- Average Size - Female (in)
- 17 - 18
- Average Weight - Male (lbs)
- 35 - 45
- Average Weight - Female (lbs)
- 35 - 45
- Health Issues
- Hip dysplasia, epilepsy.v
- Living Conditions
- Does not do well in a kennel. Should have a house with a fenced yard.
The Welsh Springer Spaniel is a very sociable and intelligent dog who thrives on human companionship. Smaller than his English cousin he also has less feathering on the ears, a more tapered head and higher set ears. Originally used as a gun dog, today he has more fame as a family pet with a good nature, adaptability and every ready eagerness to get up and go. Related to the English Springer Spaniel he comes from the same stock. Theory suggest that the breed's forefathers arrived with the Gaul's in pre-Roman times. Bred in Wales for more than 400 years there is speculation that he was crossed between the Clumber Spaniel and some indigenous Welsh Spaniels.
The Welsh Springer Spaniel is both responsive and intelligent.
Welsh Springer Spaniels look as though they will always be gentle, and in virtually all cases this is true.
Disclaimer: Pets.ca cannot be responsible for the accuracy of the above presented information. Please double check all information prior to making any decisions about purchasing this or any breed. If you think we have made an error with some of the information presented here, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.