- Dog Breed Group
- Hound Dogs
- Origin of Breed
- Egypt as a hunting dog.
- Life Expectancy
- 12 - 14 Years
- White, cream, fawn, golden, red, grizzle, silver grizzle, deer grizzle, tri-color (white, black and tan), and variations of thes
- Smooth, silky in texture.
- Exercise Needs
- Needs the opportunity to run free in open ground and long daily walks.
- The Saluki are active, gentle, affectionate and loyal. He loves to be the center of attention. Puppies need to be socialized fro
- Good with Children
- Good with children. Gets along with dogs, but mortal enemy to cats and chickens.
- Grooming Needs
- Carefully comb or brush the coat with a firm bristle brush, over brushing will cause his hairs to break. Shampoo only when neces
- Average Size - Male (in)
- 23 - 28
- Average Size - Female (in)
- May be considerably smaller
- Average Weight - Male (lbs)
- 45 - 60
- Average Weight - Female (lbs)
- 45 - 60
- Health Issues
- Prone to cancer, genetic eye diseases and sunburns especially on the nose.v
- Living Conditions
- Room to roam, a very high fenced yard (exceptional jumping skills).
The dogs of the Pharaohs, the Saluki is a slim, high-stepping, elegant dog who was used in Arabia for hunting of gazelles and other game with falcons. He is also known as the Gazelle Hound, Arabian Hound, Eastern Greyhound and the Persian Greyhound, he can have running bursts of up to 40 mph with exceptional endurance. An aloof, cautious dog, he is strongly committed to his family.
The Saluki is an excellent hunter, and it is a sheer delight to watch this dog as it runs with effortless grace.
The Saluki originated in the Middle East.
Named after the ancient city of Saluki, he was traditionally thought of as the "sacred gift of Allah"
Disclaimer: Pets.ca cannot be responsible for the accuracy of the above presented information. Please double check all information prior to making any decisions about purchasing this or any breed. If you think we have made an error with some of the information presented here, please e-mail us at email@example.com.