- Dog Breed Group
- Hound Dogs
- Origin of Breed
- Russia, hunting and companionships.
- Life Expectancy
- 10 - 12 Years
- Any color.
- Silky, flat, and wavy or rather curly; never woolly.
- Exercise Needs
- Needs plenty of exercise, including the opportunity to run off the leash and daily walks.
- The Borzoi is active and intelligent. They are gentle, well-mannered dogs who have grace and beauty, yet they enjoy having fun a
- Good with Children
- They can be nervy around children. They have a high prey drive and will seize and kill small animals before you can react.
- Grooming Needs
- Brush regularly with a firm bristle brush, dry shampoo when needed. Trim hair between toes.
- Average Size - Male (in)
- At least 28
- Average Size - Female (in)
- At least 26
- Average Weight - Male (lbs)
- 75 - 105
- Average Weight - Female (lbs)
- 55 - 85
- Health Issues
- Progressive retinal atrophy, gastric torsion.v
- Living Conditions
- Apartment is okay if the Borzoi is provided with daily exercise. Borzoi should not be left alone is a yard as he can easily jump
Known as the Russian Wolfhound he is a tall, elegant dog who's body is designed for speed. Borzois are affectionate with their owners and tolerant of other dogs. A treasured breed by the great Russian writer Tolstoy and by the Russian aristocrats. The Borzoi was originally bred to hunt, to track and to run down and dispatch the wolf from his hiding for Russian noblemen. Said to have been crossed with the Greyhound, Lapp sled dog and possibly the collie.
The Borzoi can make a good family companion as it is normally very tolerant of children.
The Borzoi is a very large and elegant dog that is capable of quite gentle behavior.
The Borzoi was bred as a sight hound to hunt wolves in packs.
Disclaimer: Pets.ca cannot be responsible for the accuracy of the above presented information. Please double check all information prior to making any decisions about purchasing this or any breed. If you think we have made an error with some of the information presented here, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.