Welsh Corgi (Cardigan)
- Dog Breed Group
- Herding Dogs
- Origin of Breed
- Wales, herding dog and family pet.
- Life Expectancy
- 12 - 15 Years
- Any, with or without white markings, but white should not predominate.
- Short or medium length, with a hard texture, and weatherproof,; short, thick undercoat.
- Exercise Needs
- Plenty of exercise at least twice a day as you do not want him to become obese and lazy. Loves to have room to run around freely
- The Cardigan is active and obediant and is a good watch dog and a good dog to have around children. They have a high learning ab
- Good with Children
- Usually gets along well with children. Needs to be socialized to with other pets, especially cats, but does well with his own ki
- Grooming Needs
- Brush his coat twice a week with a firm bristle brush. Bathe only when necessary. Shedding is twice a year.
- Average Size - Male (in)
- 10.5 - 12.5
- Average Size - Female (in)
- 10.5 - 12.5
- Average Weight - Male (lbs)
- 30 - 38
- Average Weight - Female (lbs)
- 25 - 34
- Health Issues
- Obesity, spinal problems and some inherited eye disorders.v
- Living Conditions
- Can do well in either apartment or the suburbs if he is exercised regularly.
The Cardigan Welsh Corgi makes an excellent pet who is loyal, affectionate and good with children. He is intelligent and easy to train but needs a firm hand when it comes to nipping. Wary of strangers and possessive of his owner's property he makes a good watch dog. In Welsh, corgi means tiny dog. He was the one who came from central Europe with the Celts when they migrated into Wales around 1200 B.C. Though his ancestry is not completely known, popular belief says that Cardigan descended in part from the early Dachshund.
The Cardigan Welsh Corgi is not as popular as his cousin the Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Disclaimer: Pets.ca cannot be responsible for the accuracy of the above presented information. Please double check all information prior to making any decisions about purchasing this or any breed. If you think we have made an error with some of the information presented here, please e-mail us at email@example.com.